by mibishibi

Identified fonts

No sample available
Identified by emechip
Major Production NF (Nick's Fonts)
Preview Image
Identified by Mike F.
click for full-size image

anyone know the font of the movie ratings?

3463d 17h 16m 23s ago

J-Louise Heron:
3463d 16h 45m 5s ago

also, the ‘NC’ is not the same font as the ‘RPG’

3463d 16h 38m 1s ago
Mike F.:

Font identified as Major Production NF.

My understanding is that there is no font. These are just graphics (and, as Philippe alluded to, inconsistent in style). I knew, though, that I had seen a new release font that mimics these but couldn’t find it until now (it was referred to on Typophile.com).

I predict that this font, which incorporates both movie titling and MPAA ratings symbols, becomes a best seller for Nick Curtis.

3457d 1h 58m 18s ago

Great find, Mike!

3457d 56m 26s ago

jus' LOVE it when mixed mess becomes the STANDARD '

3456d 21h 45m 13s ago

Yes, that ‘C’ will always look out of place.

3456d 21h 40m 21s ago

Believe me, it’s definitely a font. I saw a poster at the movie theater yesterday that all the text was written with the font. I don’t think they would make characters and not a whole font family.

3138d 4h 17m 15s ago
J-Louise Heron:

John - are you part of dafont.com?

And it was not unusual for each movie production house to stick whatever font they wanted for a rating system...

Maybe one day they will get their act together.

3138d 4h 11m 33s ago

Pretty font !!

3136d 21h 7m 31s ago

Font identified as Melior.

Appears to be derived from old Linotype version of the Melior font, possibly extended to some degree.

2693d 1h 5m 23s ago

Case marked solved.

2497d 18h 4m 59s ago

Melior is a good guess, but it’s not the same. You can see that the serifs in the movie rating font are rounded. Although Melior has similar rounded brackets, (as seen on the ‘P’ or the ascender of the ‘R’) the serifs are square.

Also, there is a rectangular shape caused by the drastic contrasting stroke weight that is quite noticeable in forms such as ‘G’ and in the bowl of the ‘R’ or the ‘P’. Melior, being a very circular typeface, lacks this.

The contrasting stroke widths in the poster font create a more rectangular shape that is quite noticeable in forms such as ‘G’ and in the bowl of the ‘R’ or ‘P’.

2130d 15h 55m 1s ago

Add a response

Email updates

You can sign up to receive email notifications when there is activity on this case.

MyFonts does not endorse the content of any outside sites which may be linked in forum responses.