About this font family
Designed by Rudolf Koch and released in 1927 by the Klingspor foundry in Germany, Kabel was not named after any specific cable, although the Zugspitze cable car had been completed in 1926, and a Berlin-Vienna facsimile telegraphy line opened in 1927. The name had techie cachet in its day (Piet Zwart’s NKF kabel catalogue of 1927 is well-known) and is primarily metaphorical and allusive, a pun referring to both the monolinear construction of the face, and the role of type as a means of communication.
In 1975, under special license from D. Stempel AG, Victor Caruso redesigned the face for the International Typeface Corporation with a large x-height throughout—ITC’s typical strategy for revivals—and added a fifth weight. More…
Geometric shapes are combined with humanistic features in this unusual sans serif typeface.