About this font family
Van den Velde Script Pro is the definitive edition of the original Van den Velde Script, by Intellecta Design, a free interpretation of the work of the famous master penman Jan van den Velde, to be found in the “Spieghel der schrijfkonste, in den welcken ghesien worden veelderhande gheschrifften met hare fondementen ende onderrichtinghe. ” (Haarlen, 1605). This font has evocative ancient ligature forms from the XVII Century Dutch master penman Jan van den Velde. Your indescritible writing-book was important not only with regard to the specific period it represents, but also in relationship to the entire history of calligraphy as an art: Van den Velde is rightly credited with having introduced and perfected a new trend in Dutch calligraphy. More…
Our font, Van den Velde Script, merges modern necessities or better legibility without loosing the taste of his archaic origins. This enhanced OpenType version is a complete solution for producing
documents and artworks whith an evocative and voluptuous style of calligraphic script:
Van den Velde Script PRO has
- more glyphs than the original Van den Velde Script. We created hundred of new glyphs, deactivated old non-representative glyphs and redesign the remaining library of original glyphs. Van den Velde Pro is more functional, soft and beauty than the original.
- to keep the powerful of this unusual kind of script we make a tour-de-force kerning work: 771 glyphs in this font was adjusted in 5400 kerning pairs handly.
- hundreds of contextual alternates combinations, some of them with three or more letters,
- historical ornaments and fleurons in the typical style (and motifs) from the XVII century at the Lower Countryes accessed with the glyph palette using the Ornaments feature);
- an extensive set of ligatures (100s of contextual alternates plus discretionary ligatures) providing letterform variations that make your designs really special, resembling real handwriting on the page;
.... and, much better, Van den Velde Scriopt PRO is plus cheap than the
original font !!!
In non-OpenType-savvy applications it works well as an unusual and beautiful script style font. Because of its high number of alternate letters and combinations (over 700 glyphs), we suggest the use of the glyph palette to find ideal solutions to specific designs. The sample illustrations will give you an idea of the possibilities. You have full access to this amazing stuff using InDesign, Illustrator, QuarkXpress and similar software. However, we still recommend exploring what this font has to offer using the glyphs palette: principally to get all the power of the Contextual Alternates feature.
Van den Velde Script PRO has original letters designed by Iza W and overall creative direction plus core programming by Paulo W.