Originally the leading nineteenth century typefoundry Peignot (of Gustave Peignot). On his death, his son Georges Peignot took it over. Georges’ son Charles took it over when Georges and his three brothers were all killed in the First World War. It became Deberny & Peignot in 1923 when the Laurent & Deberny foundry was purchased. From then until c1960 Charles Peignot directed the creation of a series of truly original designs. Starting in the late fifties, the company prepared the fonts for Lumitype, European Photon. In the sixties, Charles Peignot invested heavily in Lumitype, which used up some of the money to buy control of Deberny & Peignot, and let Charles go. It was closed in 1979, at which time the designs passed to Haas.