Golden Cockerel was an English private press, founded in 1920 by Harold Midgley Taylor in Waltham St Lawrence, Berkshire, not far from Reading. For printing historians it is notable mainly for the nine-year period under its second proprietor, Robert Gibbings. In 1928-1929 Eric Gill was commissioned to produce a typeface for the press, the type that would be known simply as “Golden Cockerel”. This would be his first complete typeface. (His earlier Gill Sans and Perpetua had been supplied as drawings, to be completed by the Monotype drawing office.) Several fine editions were produced using the type, including The Four Gospels of 1931.
Digital revivals of the Golden Cockerel type were made by ITC in 1995-1996.