Frankfurt typefoundry, opened in 1895 by David Stempel.
Walter Cunz, who headed the foundry from the end of World War II until the late 1960s built the library into a position of world leadership, with the help of such brilliant type designers as Hermann Zapf.
The company diversified into filmsetting only in 1977, much later than the rest of the industry.
The last Linotype matrices were made in 1983. In early 1985 Stempel was fully absorbed into Linotype GmbH, becoming its font department.