German typographer, type designer, teacher and painter. After studying in Berlin, in 1900 he set up the Steglitzer Werkstatt with F.H. Ehmcke and Georg Belwe. He taught at the Leipzig Academy of Graphic Design and Book Arts from 1903 until 1906, then spent time in Darmstadt teaching and working at private presses. From 1924 to 1931 he was an advisor to D. Stempel AG.