German painter, illustrator, designer, teacher and architect. He studied painting at the Hochschule für Bildende Künste, Dresden, from 1891 to 1896. After producing monumental altarpieces and murals, he took up book illustration and poster design. By 1899, he was actively involved in the Dresden craft workshops, designing furniture and wallpaper. He was also recognized widely for the quality of his posters and typography. He successfully exhibited in art shows around the turn of the century.
In 1903, he moved from Dresden to the artists' colony at Matildenhühe, near Darmstadt, designing furniture for the Blaues Haus. His typographic work on the catalogs for the 1904-1905 exhibitions of the Darmstadt Artist Coloby and his posters and advertisements for Bad Nauheim in 1904 were considered to be notable contributions to the “modern advertising idiom.” In 1906, Cissarz became head of book design at the teaching and experimental workshop of the Verein Würtembergischer Kunstfreunde in Stuttgart, later becoming a professor.
His typeface design, Cissarz Latein, for the Ludwig & Mayer Foundry in 1912 secured his renown as a book designer.
From 1916 on, he taught painting at the Kunstgewerbeschule (Arts and Crafts Academy) in Frankfurt am Main.