Established in 1842, the Rudhard’sche foundry in Offenbach was bought by Carl Klingspor in 1892. His sons, Karl and younger brother Wilhelm, took on the business in 1904, renaming the foundry Gebrüder Klingspor in 1906, and turned it into a prominent player. Major designers working for the foundry included Otto Eckmann, the architect Peter Behrens, Walter Tiemann, and, from 1906 until his death in 1934, Rudolf Koch. The foundry closed in 1956 when it was acquired by D. Stempel AG, which had held a majority stake in the company since 1917.