About this font family
The general idea: it is a hanger in a tsar palace on which all crowned persons have hung up their crowns before going to bed. A few jokers' caps are hanging also on some hooks of the hanger.
Release: in the form of “gorod.Tsaritsyn” font with four styles. Symbols of Normal and Bold styles have the cut strokes (sans serif), symbols of Italic styles have no an inclination, but have the sharp counterstrokes (serifs) at the ends of vertical strokes and at the corners for the greater expressiveness. More…
We have to explain the meaning of word “gorod”. It is a “city of” in Russian.
The city of Tsaritsyn was founded in 1589 as a fortress for protection of Russian lands against attacks of Mongol-Tatar armies. The first outpost was built on the steep turn of the river Volga on the island opposite the place where the river Tsaritsa flows into it. But the outpost was burnt at the beginning of XVII century and then was built up anew now on the bank of the Volga not far from the Mamaev Hill that became afterwards “the main height of Russia” (we'll explain this while our new font “gorod.Volgograd” get ready in its describing article).
As the Russian borderline moved forward to the East and to the South Tsaritsyn was losing its importance as an outpost but developed as a transport junction and industrial center. This city was a witness of the “senseless and ruthless” (as Alexander Pushkin wrote on his “The Captain Daughter” narrative) peasants uprisings under the leadership of Stepan Rasin (1670) and Emelian Pugatchov (1774), and at the beginning of XVIII century it was the center of Cossack self-goverment during Bulavin’s revolt. In the Civil War 1918-1919 Tsaritsyn city became the region of severe battles between the Red Army of Workers and Peasants and the nobleman White Guard. During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 years it was completely destroyed. It is known as the most eastern place which fascist armies reached during the Second World War.
In 1925 Tsaritsyn was renamed to Stalingrad, since 1961 it has had the new name - Volgograd. Now it is a modern city which was built up anew after war, it is situated on 100 kilometers of the Volga bank, has population about 1 million people.